Confessions of a Procrastinator

It should come as no surprise to you, dear readers, given the title of this post, that I had been wanting to blog about this for some time (and even less surprising is the fact I started writing this a week ago and left it unfinished at 200 words).  So why, you might ask, am I finally writing this now?  Well, the answer is quite simple really…I’m procrastinating from doing something else!  Actually I am avoiding a whole raft of things right now: ironing, laundry, cleaning the bathroom, getting my fridge fixed, completing the sequel to my White Collar fanfic, exercising, just to name a few.  I’m scaring myself just thinking about how long this list could actually be – if I could be bothered to get out the pen and paper to write them all down!

I have been a procrastinator for about as long as I can remember.  Usually I’m putting off doing something important like filing my tax return, or back in my school days, it would mean writing an essay or other homework.  Times like these, my stove top would end up being so clean you could eat right off it because I would do just about anything to avoid the task at hand.

So is there a solution to procrastination? To understand why we procrastinate, you would have to understand why you are putting off the thing you are avoiding doing…in my untrained opinion, it is probably an indicator that you are not interested in what you are supposed to be doing, hence lack of motivation to complete the task.  At least that is the case 99% of the time for me.  But then how do you explain something that should lead to a great outcome like cleaning the bathtub so I can have a nice relaxing bath? Oh well, I guess we just discovered the other 1%…laziness 😉

I was in a bookstore today and there was a book that claimed to be a guide to stop procrastination.  I don’t remember the exact title of the book or its author and I don’t know how successful that book has been.  It would not surprise me if that copy has been on the shelf for a few years.  After all, the procrastinators I know already KNOW that they are procrastinators, and the truth is, if any of us had bought the book, we would probably put off reading it and it would go on to collect dust on the bookshelf which means more work to do (I think I may be allergic to dust…).  Vicious circle, anyone?  I wonder how long the author of the book put off writing it before he/she finally put pen to paper to get started? (oops too cynical?)

OK so enough procrastinating (for today at least). I’m going to wrap it up here so this post can be published so I can get back to watching TV to put off reading about how to make money in my sleep. I have no advice or solutions to your procrastination problem. I can only sympathise and empathise with your situation (I would never admit it was a “problem”).  If you want to keep procrastinating, why don’t you read my other posts on this blog? 😉

Toodles! xox

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Confessions of a Procrastinator

  1. Laura Vivoni

    Valerie, I can totally relate. I am also a procrastinator. I wait to the last minute for everything. I found that the only way I get over my procrastination is by feeling like I have to be accountable for something. For example. I started my blog this Feb 1st 2011. I promised I would write every day. I’ve already told people I would. I took a calendar and wrote topics of what I’m going to write about on the Blog for the next month. And every night when I say to myself, “I’m too tired to write” There’s another voice that tells me. “But you already told all these people about your daily writing, what are they going to say if you skip a day?” It makes me feel bad that I would potentially be disappointing people or even myself if I don’t do it. So I push myself harder. If I only could do that with cleaning…. 🙂

    Like

    Reply
  2. Katy

    Hey! How do you always seem to write a blog about me and what I’m going through at the time? :p I’m very proud at how much you have done in the last couple of days! Just need to set up a rewards system and your set 😀

    Like

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s